Vertrees Headache Center provides comprehensive, multidisciplinary, cutting edge, holistic care for headache patients in the Greater Austin area and beyond. We help headache patients stop feeling marginalized, start feeling heard, and get the care they need to achieve the relief they seek. We empower headache patients to heal themselves and become their own headache experts. We educate patient families and the community that “it’s not just a headache.”
As a direct pay provider, we provide more for you
- We spend more time with you and get to really know you.
- We provide services not available at larger centers such as same-day or next-day appointments for established patients, virtual consultations, and more.
- Our entire clinic was designed with the headache sufferer in mind: we provide a quiet, healing, non-fluorescent, low-light clinic swathed in a soothing palette.
We give you more for less and there are no surprises. Our fees are transparent
Working with big hospital systems, you don’t know how much you owe until the big bill comes in. You are often charged hospital fees that are sometimes not covered by insurance. Our clinic doesn’t charge these fees, and insurance typically reimburses 40-80% of the services we provide. The remainder of the sums may be covered by HSA or FSA accounts.
Please note that at this time our services are not reimbursed by Medicare or Medicaid.
Meet Dr. Stephanie Vertrees
Stephanie Vertrees, MD, FAHS is the medical director of the Vertrees Headache Center. She has over a decade of experience and has helped thousands of patients overcome their headaches. She sees adults and teenagers with all types of headache conditions.
As a fellow migraine sufferer, she empathizes with the challenges of living with headaches and helps patients find the right ways to champion their condition. Ivy League and Texas trained, she has treated patients from all walks of life, both urban and rural. She lives in Austin with her husband and daughter.
Education and Training
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Genetics from Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) from the University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX
- Neurology Residency at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, NH
- Fellowships in Neuromuscular Medicine and Medical Ethics at Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
Credentials and Professional Activities
- Board certified in Headache Medicine by the United Council for Neurological Specialties
- Board certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Board certified in Neuromuscular Medicine by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
- Fellow, American Headache Society
- Delegate to the Texas Medical Association for Travis County Medical Society
- Member, Southern Headache Society
Recognitions and Awards
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors, 2017—2023
- Texas Monthly Texas Super Doctors, 2021—2023
- Austin Monthly Top Doctor, 2018—2023
- Texas Monthly Rising Star, 2016—2018